Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Back to School

I had to leave Molly Zelda today for the first time (well, for longer than 20 minutes or so) to go to the weekly seminar for my fellowship. It was kind of sad when I left her, and I only teared up a tiny bit, but it was not too bad. It was only for a little more than four hours, and I left her with Bill. I know I can't complain--most people are back to work full time by the time their babies are 12 weeks old and have to leave them all day. I only have to leave her for a few hours a week, and it's with her poppa. So I won't complain anymore. I'm very, very lucky to have this fellowship that allows me to work from home when I want to, rather than having set hours, so I can be with Molly most of the time.

Yesterday we took a family walk (Bill, Molly, Daisy, and me) around the lake. It was a beautiful Labor Day! I strapped Molly in the Moby, and she slept the whole three mile walk. I was a little tired, and a lot sweaty, from having a baby strapped to me, but it was really a great way to spend a couple of hours. Yes, it took a couple of hours because I was walking pretty slowly. My friend Amy came by to visit Molly in the afternoon. She came to visit Molly in the NICU, and she also made us a chocolate cake and a cheesecake while Molly was in the hospital, just because she is nice, and she knows that baked goods are very comforting in times of stress.

Tomorrow we are going with Trudi and Audrey to lunch and to buy work clothes (for Trudi, not me) because she starts back to work full-time next week. (She just had a daughter--Audrey--in July.) It will be nice to get out of the house for a little while.

Molly is doing really well, although she did not want to take a nap today for anything! She has been doing really well with the napping, but not today. I have a feeling it has to do with eating from a bottle rather than the breast today while I was gone. I pumped this morning right before I left so that Bill could feed her fresh milk (even though we still have a freezer full of frozen breast milk). She ate from the bottle yesterday so Bill and Molly could practice for today while I was gone, but that was the first time since we got home from the hospital so we are not really sure how much she actually eats. She was still hungry when I got home, but she hadn't wanted to eat anymore from the bottle. So I fed her again when I got home. Maybe her schedule got messed up a little bit or something. I'm so glad she likes to breastfeed, but that she will also eat from the bottle!


Marsha D said...

I remember vividly the first time I left you with someone who had to feed you with a bottle. You absolutely refused to take a bottle. Molly will get used to it, especially since her Poppa is the one offering it to her. Thanks for posting so much, I love reading all about this journey and I can't wait to see Molly's reaction when she goes back to read it when she is your age.
I love you!

Kim said...

Yes, starting the bottle feeding process can be a bit of a journey. You guys are lucky that it went so well!! It probably helped that you weren't around. I read a lot that the mom shouldn't be in the same room when the first bottle feeding happens. Not sure if this is more for the mom or baby, but we did it, and it worked!

You guys are so lucky to have each other, and so much time to spend together. I love hearing all the stories!

Kris said...

What an adventure having a baby is. You and Bill are doing a wonderful parenting job and we are so proud of you. I wish I had some advice on the bottle feeding and the napping. I only bottle fed my babies so there wasn't a difference and I do remember the napping situation just worked itself out as Bill and Andrea got a little bigger. I know that's not much help but you have all of our support and love.