Tuesday, February 1, 2011

sleep, or as it's known in the real world, lack of sleep

I thought Molly was a bad sleeper. Well, Penny is determined to one-up her older sister. We have been trying to get her to sleep through the night for weeks now. It is hard! On the third night, Molly surrendered. She slept through the night. Penny is not giving up. She can moan and cry and scream for hours on end. And, unlike her momma, she can go without sleep AND without coffee. Two night ago she slept until 5:30, and we thought we had turned a corner. Last night, however, she woke at 2:30 and was awake until 4:00, at which point I finally went in and fed her. I've been waiting until 5AM.

Now, I realize parents (particularly mommas) have been doing this forever, and there are many people whose kids have special needs and have genuine sleep disorders (I know a couple), but I just want to complain for a minute about how difficult it is to go without sleep. I forget very common words, like 'shoes.' I forget why I went into a room for something. I seethe with anger when I can't immediately locate the milk in the fridge. With one kid, I thought it was hard, but I could sleep when she slept. With two, there isn't that break. I can't imagine with three or more, though I know we always live up to our own situations. I also know many people have it much harder. Okay--I'm finished complaining. Just let me go get another cup of coffee--be right back.

And I'm not writing this just for complaining's sake. It is for posterity and so I can show Molly and Penny later just how much trouble they caused me. Just kidding. They are truly, truly delightful little people. Molly is just getting so grown up that she is no longer a toddler, but a little girl. It's amazing to watch. Again, this is something that has been happening forever, but it is a truly amazing transition. I laugh so much at them because they really are fun to be around. Molly is actually developing a sense of humor and will joke with us. Penny thinks Molly is the most hilarious person she's ever met, too. The good far, far outweighs the sleep deprivation, and I am very happy to be able to stay home with them.

Penny also does not have the interest in food that Molly had. She really just wants to nurse more than anything else. She has eaten a few solids, but she generally only takes a bite or two. She is 8 months old now, and the medical 'experts' say to start giving solids at 6 months. We have started to introduce them, but we are just letting her go at her own pace. She is clearly not wasting away--she weighs a lot, still in the 90th percentile for weight and height--so I'm not concerned about it.

2 comments:

Abacus said...

I feel your pain a little bit (although I know I am able to deal with a lot less sleep than you and your brother). We used to have it pretty good. I remember the days when Ewan would occasionally sleep for 7-9 hours straight or even wake-up just once or twice a night. Lately, it has been more like 4-6 times a night. A couple of days ago he woke-up every hour from 3-6- that was pretty rough. I finally had to have caffeinated coffee yesterday in order to be able to function at work and had a nap on Sunday- the first in a long time. We haven't tried any sleep training yet because I was hoping this crappy sleep was due to something that would fix itself...new teeth, a growth spurt, introducing solid foods. I think I'm in denial though since it has been going on for a few weeks.
I will let you know if we try anything that ends up working.
Oh, and your comment about seething with anger made me laugh.

Anonymous said...

Ahh, yes, I remember that first year with Ben - exactly the same! Which possibly explains my unnatural fear that I keep having of delivering this 3rd child into the world in May!

Good luck! And please post what you find that finally works... I may need to refer back to it in a few months!

Kim