Friday, August 14, 2009

14 months!

Wow! It has been so long since I posted. Molly is an extremely energetic baby, and she really needs constant supervision. By the time she goes to bed, I am ready to just kick back and relax. She is still not napping in her crib. We have tried really hard, but it is not working. She will sleep in her crib all night, but she will only nap in the car, stroller, or the carrier. She is napping on me right now. I guess we will try again in a few weeks. She just will scream and scream in her crib during the day. Maybe it has something to do with the light? I don't know. Anyway, we will try again soon.

Otherwise, everything is really great! Molly is having so much fun. She is almost walking by herself. She can walk pretty far holding one hand. She can also take a few steps by herself. I know it is going to be so crazy when she does start walking, and then running.

We are going swimming this afternoon. I've been trying to find outings for us every day. We have mommas group on Tuesdays, we usually go to story time at the library on Wednesdays, and we go swimming on Fridays. In between, we have play dates at the swings or other outings. this week was busy, but it's difficult to think of things to do all the time. I am a little anxious about wintertime when we will not be able to go outside as often. Right now, though, Molly is pretty happy to just be outside. I think things would be a little easier if Molly actually napped in her bed because I could get some stuff done around the house, or I could just sit down and relax for a little while. But...as my mother-in-law said, if this is the worst thing I've got to worry about, we're doing really well. SO TRUE!

Molly is turning into quite the comedienne. She loves to make faces and crack her parents (and herself) up. She really is a funny girl. She has started imitating us. This morning, I was turning my head away from her, and then turning it back toward her quickly and making a face. She started doing the same thing! It was hilarious. She will also play peekaboo with us, covering her face with her hand.

I start back to work a week from Wednesday. I will be back to teaching one day a week, and Bill will resume his weekly Wednesday duties. I'm looking forward to it, though I know it is going to be really hectic and busy. We are heading to Texas next week to see Bill's sister and her husband, and our month-old nephew, Alexander. It will be really sweet to see Molly and her cousin together. She has been hugging other kids, so I hope she gets to give the little guy a hug.

What else has been going on? Hmmm...I've been making a lot of food, like yogurt and bread. I'm getting into fermenting a little bit. The bread was the most challenging, other than the first time I made sauerkraut, but it turned out pretty good after I figured out what I was doing. My friend, Abby, who also is Molly's godmother, is a really good break maker, so she gave me the inspiration to make it. The first loaf tasted okay, but it was about as dense as, um, what was it as dense as? I don't know, but it was really dense. I think I didn't let the starter ferment long enough the first time.

We started to get our farm delivery again because it seems a little cheaper than going to the farmers market for everything. The downside, though, is that we end up with tons of things that pose a challenge to full consumption. Last week, for example, we got about five onions. We ate two in the week, but that was kind of pushing it. What can I do with the onions? Any ideas? I am thinking either French onion soup or...wait for it....fermenting the onions! Onion pickles anyone? Sounds pretty good (in moderation, of course). This week I got a bunch of tomatoes. Normally I love tomatoes, but I am running out of things to do. I'm thinking tomato pie or just a big vat of (possibly fermented) salsa.

This post is getting pretty long and rambling so I will sign off. I hope to update more frequently. I am going to try my best to get back in the habit of posting more often!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Krista, it is so good to hear from you again with an updated blog entry. Just enjoy this time with Molly because these sweet days go by too fast although you might not think so now.
How about canning some tomatoes for future soups or pasta dishes.
Love you and miss you,
Kris

Andrea Troyer said...

Krista,
Alexander can't wait to meet his crazy cousin Molly! I'm sure he'll allow a couple of hugs from her and her Aunt can't wait to get a couple of hugs!!! We are so looking forward to your visit. Love you!
Andrea

Anonymous said...

You are so right about Molly being a comedian. I still crack up every time I look at a fan. I just yell out DOGGG. Can't wait to see you all in 2 weeks!
Love you!
Mom

Abacus said...

It's so nice to be someone's inspiration. Thanks, Krista! Sometimes my bread turns out dense too. It happens when I decide to make it when I don't really have enough time to let it fully rise.
We have been getting a lot of tomatoes from the farmer's market lately. I have used them for eggplant parmigiana; tomato salad with tomatoes, basil, feta, olive oil and balsamic vinegar; on hamburgers; salsa; or just eaten them plain.

Anonymous said...

Great hearing from you! You guys sound so energetic!

You can try grilling the onions. Slice them up, add some butter and bullion cubes... yum!

I've been adding an onion or two to my homemade marinara sauce. So many things to do with the onions and tomatoes!

Hugs and kisses all around... oh, and maybe some M&Ms would help Molly nap??? Just a suggestion!

Love ya!
Kim